Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Goodbye loneliness

I'm exhausted and yet cant' quite end the day. I arrived at Amy's house around 7:00pm in a total down pour. California is getting some much-needed rain. I have been so warmly welcomed and embraced. Amy and Harry, Pat & Scott, Frannie, Jane, Marcia & Hannah. All but Amy's husband, Harry, will be traveling tomorrow. The small group of the total group of travelers ranges in age from 25-70. It's fantastic. They are all intimately connected in various and often multiple ways. I am the outsider and newcomer and yet feel completely included.

Harry prepared the most delicious lentil soup I've ever had in my life. (Yes, Maryann and Marissa, I will get the recipe!) Roast chicken, salad, and close to the perfect home-baked chocolate chip cookies. My gluten-free self could not resist.

4 of us have not been to COJ before. The other half have been 2-3 times. They keep going back...it is as if they can't stay away. They are connected to the place and the women in a profound way.

There are many jokes about "the plane". For inquiring minds...I will not be allowed to take pictures of the inside. Strictly verboden. I will do my best to capture the opulence in words. The little I know so far is that there are 4 bedrooms (all going to the Mayo clinic docs who will be performing surgeries literally around the clock for the week we are in Congo. They each work 8 hours straight then rest for a stretch then back to the OR. Amazing.)  Room to dance, to-die-for food. I'll fill in the details tomorrow.

I am no longer scared and no longer feel alone. I am part of this group now...slowly finding my place. There are still many to meet. I believe we are 28 total. I miss Lucas a ton, Think about him constantly. I have one of his "snugs" draped over my shoulders as I write. I didn't wash it before leaving so it smells like his beautiful self.

Bowl makers (you know who you are) I shared the story and picture of the bowls with Jane, Scott, Frannie and Pat after dinner. They are moved and blown away. They can't wait to see and touch them for real. They want to figure out a special way to present them to the women at COJ.

If the rain lets up in the morning a bunch of us are getting up to walk before the 20 hour flight ahead of us. So, off to bed I go. I am ready for this journey to begin. I guess it already has.

lots of love, ME

1 comment:

  1. So looking forward to hearing about your adventures!
    -Teri (the blue bowl knitter)

    ReplyDelete